Friday, May 13, 2011

Packaging Ideas - Prototype Development

An entire record sleeve set like the Beatles set below is the desired outcome for the project with all related memorabilia housed within one final piece.











I looked at a number of nets and tried to think how I would design and fold my finished packaging piece so it would successfully hold all the required items while not taking up a great deal of space.

The above pizza box with included handle struck me as quite an ingenious design as the boxes are packed flat and built up when needed. Therefor the handle is part of the net and comes into play when required.





I looked at a few different Japanese packaging books having previously seen some of their work. All the packaging elements offered a personal touch and a neat and tidy finish which is what I would like to incorporate into my finished piece.


CD & Lyric Book Printing

I would like all memorabilia elements to encompass some part of the illustration so, like the examples I found below, I will try to brand all the delivered elements of the final packaging product. This will give some meaning to each individual piece so when they're put together as a collective the final product may be very desirable.














Prototype Packaging / Housing
I drew up the design for this piece and thought it looked quite well. However when it was constructed I decided it wasn't really practical as a package solution and would serve a better purpose as a more front of shop or above shelf one-off promotional display piece















Clock face centre piece, to tie in with the illustration, with arrows (clock hands) coming off to hold each piece of memorabilia. A central cardboard rod runs through the vinyl to hold it in place behind the clock face and a wooden rod runs through this to ensure the record doesn't slip off. Crocodile clips are attached to each arrow head to clip each piece of memorabilia into and hold them in place for display.

No comments:

Post a Comment